Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Re-Playa del Carmen and Adios, Mexico

We loved the beach at Playa del Carmen so much we decided to go back again the following afternoon to swim. The weather forecast was to be mostly cloudy with chances of light rain but that didn't stop us. After working on multiplication with Lola in preparation for her re-take of the CRCT later this month (we have been hitting the multiplication tables every day in Mexico so she knows them well, then we will be prepared to move on to the required skills for 5th grade CRCT), I walked around the resort to take photographs of the pool and other places sans people. It truly amazes me how a pool bar can be packed with people even on a rainy day. See photo...

After that, we had lunch and then hopped on the bus to Playa del Carmen. Once there, we found the waves to be wonderfully big and perfect for wave-jumping. After a couple hours, Lola decided to play in the sand so she made use of what sticks and rocks were on the beach and built a sand fort with a moat to catch the water once the tide was back in. I helped her while Kimmi was still having fun with the waves.

Once we were done swimming and needed to dry off, we trekked up the beach to a tapas restaurant, had a coke,changed our clothes and made it to the bus stop with time to spare. During the afternoon it only actually rained a couple times, and even then just sprinkled. It was a fun way to spend our last day in Mexico! The bus was scheduled to leave at 6pm, so we needed to eat dinner back at the resort and hop into bed early to get up at 2:30am to get on the 3:45am shuttle and fly home on the 7am flight to Houston (whoever booked this for us must have been a sadist. This is not normal to do on the last day of a vacation). However, the plan changed and we all decided to just stay up until we got on the shuttle and then try to catch sleep there and on the plane home. I fell asleep at midnight. I'm not sure when everyone else conked out. But at 2:30 we were up and packing the toothbrushes and jammies in our suitcases and were ready to go about 15 minutes early!!

The flight home was fun and Lola slept on each leg of the trip, so she was ready for action when we arrived in Atlanta. I was sleepy, but happy to be home, even though I love Mexico and want to go back! Kimmi was the one who was not feeling so good. Her rash had spread to her other arm and back so she was going to the doctor to see what could be done. Needless to say, I think all of us had a nice, wonderful time sleeping in our own beds. The cats were so happy to see us, and Scooter was following Lola all around the house to make sure she really was home for good. It really is true - there is no place like home!!

No comments: