Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Blini Experiment(s)


March 11, 2008

Lola and Scooter (one of our cats who is now her proclaimed “boyfriend”, because at this age human boys are YUK!!!) were lying on the sofa all snuggled together watching Tom & Jerry and Lola said “Mama, Scooter needs a manicure!” and showed me Scooter’s paw with a couple of very pointed little claws. It really does amaze me how much English she has stored up in her memory bank and later when you least expect it - - - out it comes, sometimes in complete sentences, grammatically correct and making perfect sense! For just a brief second I forget she has only been in this country a little over two months!

This evening is the International Festival at her school. I did my best to make blini (little Russian pancakes that are SUPPOSED to be thin, like crepes) but of course my blini (one blin, many blini) all came out like FAT little pancakes, but according to Lola “Oh, Mama, it’s ok. These taste really GOOD!” Ok, so now that I have it palatably perfect, the next step is to get them perfected in consistency. I followed a recipe, but now that I know the basic ingredients and the combination of these ingredients produce FAT pancakes I may try to wing it by instinct next time. My experiments in cuisine usually do fare better when I fly by the seat of my pants...

No comments: