Thursday, April 24, 2008

Another Observation

Thursday, April 24, 2008

After having found my long-lost friend Dave the other day living happily and remarried in California, I was driving to work this morning and began thinking about all the people I know who are living statistics of divorce. Dave is one of them, as well as a very large majority of my group of friends…

The question in my mind is: why is the divorce rate steadily increasing? Some stats I have found indicate that in 1980 the divorce rate was 6%, in 1990 it was 8%, and in 2000 it was 10% ! Is it due to our society becoming ever so much more accustomed to ‘fast’ this and ‘disposable’ that, to the point where it has crossed over to how we actually conduct our relationships? Our food must now be fast, our babies now wear disposable diapers, we now have the convenience of speed dating, quick banking, doc-in-a-box and quick weight-loss diets. I wonder if there are studies being conducted on this...it would be interesting research.

Perhaps that’s why I have not tied the knot yet. I don’t want to live my life in the fast lane when it comes to personal relationships. I don’t want my feelings to become disposable and meaningless.

No comments: